Tuesday, January 7, 2014

DIY Artwork.

Recently I had a conversation with my friend Amy about artwork. I was lamenting the fact that I can no longer afford to splurge on artwork like I once would have. The next day while staring at my bare  walls I had an idea. What if I scanned some images from a few of my favourite art books and mounted them? 

One of my favourite books is 'The Dapuri Drawings'. A story of a remarkable collection of botanical drawings commissioned by Alexander Gibson, an East Indian Company surgeon, that depict plants grown in the botanic gardens under his control in the Bombay Presidency. They are the work of an unknown Portuguese - Indian artist, made between 1847 and 1850. I have always found them exceptionally beautiful and intriguing.

A local photographer here in Gardenvale has a high end commercial scanner and art printer and can print them out on either cotton rag or a good quality acid free paper for around $60 - $80 each depending on the size.  Could be a nice way of creating some affordable artwork.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...