Friday, November 16, 2012

Tiles - the second batch.

After removing the first batch of tiles from the roof, a new reclaimed batch of tiles arrived. Fortunately these tiles were a much better fit with the original tiles, however I do have my concerns (but really, what do I know about roofs and tiles ).

So what are my concerns?

Well, it's my understanding that (according to the internet) the lifespan of a terracotta roof is about 70 - 80 years (although this information comes from roofers websites - who of course want your business). To counteract this I have also read (online) not to fall for the "your tiles are brittle so I need to replace your roof" line as it's one of the oldest fibs in building.

That said, a functional roof is pretty bloody important! So if there are signs of water damage on your ceiling your roof really needs to be assessed as soon as possible.

So with the above information in mind, added to the fact our roof is around 84 years old now, I was very keen to know the state of it's health from both Con and the tilers.

Con thought it was in pretty good shape as he was able to walk on it without the tiles breaking (all tiles whether old or new will break when walked on incorrectly, however tiles past their used by date will break even when walked on correctly). The tilers thought it could use some repointing, but in general there is no reason why it wouldn't last another 15 - 20 years.

So, when this new batch of tiles arrived, to my eye they looked quite faded compared to the first batch - and I'm thinking faded = really old. Secondly when I stood on a few remnants they seemed to break incredibly easily (yes, this could also mean it's time to get back on the diet!)

However the tilers told me they were fine, and Con assured me these tiles are guaranteed by the supplier. So here's hoping they will be fine.

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome! I am so glad you were able to use reclaimed tiles. Looks a lot beter :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...