Monday, December 17, 2012

The Deck - Part 1

Another exciting milestone of our build is the commencement of the deck. I have spent many hours studying our plans in relation to the deck, looking at our property from above (with nearmap), and in general reassessing the deck over and over. Why you might ask?

Well mostly because I do not want to get the backyard/deck proportions wrong. So while a deck is without doubt a wonderful, useful addition to the outdoors, a green space (as in garden) is ultimately where the magic happens outside. I just hope we have got it right.

Decking is a funny subject, people seem to be adamantly 'pro' or 'against' them. David for example was definitely in the 'against' camp - he felt a bigger backyard was the way to go. It took a lot of convincing that a deck is a must have addition to the modern house.

In the end I could not make up my mind, do we build the 4.2m deck as per the plans or do we pull it back to 3.5m and allow for that extra bit of backyard? I couldn't decide, David had to make the call.

It surprised me to learn David decided we needed a 4.2m wide deck - so that is what we are getting. I think it's going to be wonderful!

Holes being dug.
Stumps, bearers and joists.


First board being laid.


45 mins later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...