Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Revised kitchen thoughts

I cannot stop thinking about our kitchen. Mostly because there is so damn much to think about. Where should the cutlery drawers go, near the dishwasher or stove? What side do we need the fridge door to open, left or right? What size fridge is really enough? Where do you put the microwave, or rather where can I hide a microwave?

Then of course there is the daunting decision of appliances. Is that expensive European one really worth that extra $1000? What's the deal with sinks, why is that one $250 and that one $2,100? If you ask 10 different people be prepared for 10 different answers.

I honestly wish there were only 5 models:
- way too expensive
- more than I wanted to pay but worth the bit extra
- affordable and good value
- cheap and cheerful
- fell off a back of a truck rubbish

A couple of months ago we thought we had it all sorted, as we held up a picture from one of my many magazines and said "We'll have that kitchen please, done." Then Con pointed out to us a few days ago that we won't actually be able to open the fridge door wide enough to remove the trays if we locate it there.

The window behind my sink suddenly looks wrong now the sink sits oddly off to one side to make room for the dishwasher. How did I miss this stuff?

After much soul searching I now believe we (or more accurately "I") messed it up because I was trying to be too clever with the design. Tried too hard to inject a bit of "Wow" that I tripped over "get the basics right" and fell flat on my face.

Therefore, I have since picked myself up. Taken a deep breath and started again. I have tried to par things back to a more basic layout. Hopefully allowing us a bit more room and flexibility with the real actual fitout. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...